Dicyclomine (Bentyl) is used to treat a certain type of intestinal problem called irritable bowel syndrome by reducing the symptoms of stomach and intestinal cramping. It relaxes the muscles in the stomach and intestines.
How should I take dicyclomine?
- Take exactly as the doctor tells you. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for a longer time.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Measure the liquid medicine with a special dose-measuring spoon or cup—not a regular table spoon.
- Talk with the doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 2 weeks of starting this medicine.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember, but skip the missed dose if it is almost time for the next dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy and cause blurred vision.
- Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires alertness or clear vision.
- Drinking alcohol may increase certain side effects of this medicine.
- Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated because dicyclomine can cause decreased sweating.
- Do not take this medicine at the same time as antacids. If you are taking an antacid, take it after a meal and take the medicine before the meal.
Before using this medicine, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy, and all other medicines you take including over the counter medicines.
To make sure you can safely take this medicine, tell your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Ulcerative Colitis
- An ileostomy or colostomy
- A nerve problem
- Liver or kidney disease
- Heart disease, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, or heart rhythm disorder
- Hiatal hernia
- Enlarged prostate
Tell your doctor about any of the following serious side effects:
- Decreased sweating
- Dry, hot, or flushed skin
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Loss of coordination
- Slurred speech
- Mental or mood changes
- Eye pain
- Vision changes
- Difficulty urinating
Contact your doctor or 911 immediately for serious side effects:
- Itching/swelling in face, tongue, or throat
- Trouble breathing
- Severe dizziness