Nystatin is an antifungal medication used to treat yeast infections of the mouth. It is not absorbed through the stomach, and will not treat fungal infections in any part of the body except the mouth.
How to take
Take exactly the way the doctor tells you. If you don’t understand these instructions, ask your doctor, nurse, or the pharmacist to explain them to you.
Taking the dry powder form of nystatin:
- Add about 1/8 teaspoon of dry powder to about 4 ounces and stir well.
- After it is mixed, divide into 4 parts. Hold each one in the mouth and swish around in the mouth as long as possible. Then gargle and swallow. Do this with each one. Be sure to use all 4 parts to get the full dose of the medicine.
Taking the lozenge:
- Hold the lozenge in the mouth and allow it to dissolve slowly and completely. Do not chew or swallow the lozenge whole.
- Do not give the lozenge to infants or children. They may be too young to use it safely.
Taking the liquid form:
- Medicine should be taken by mouth if it comes in a dropper. Measure each dose using the marker on the dropper. Put ½ of the medicine in each side of the mouth and swish around as long as possible. Then gargle and swallow.
To help clear up the infection completely, keep taking the medicine for the full time of treatment, even if your condition has improved. Do not miss any doses.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. However, if it almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and just go back to the regular dosing schedule. DO NOT DOUBLE DOSE.
Some of the reactions to this medicine may include:
- Chest tighteness;
- Bad cough;
- Blue skin color;
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat.
Contact the doctor or go directly to the ER if any of these occur.
How to store
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing. Store lozenge form in the refrigerator.