Pancrealipase (Pancrecarb) is a medication that contains digestive enzymes to help break down and digest fats, starch, and proteins in food. It is used in conditions where the pancreas cannot make or does not release enough digestive enzymes into the small intestines to digest the food. It is commonly used in those with IBD, Celiac Disease, malabsorption, chronic pancreatitis, and bacterial overgrowth.
How should it be used?
- Take by mouth with every meal or snack.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush or chew capsule, or keep it in your mouth.
- If swallowing is hard, open and mix in small amount of liquid or soft food like applesauce. Do not mix with food like milk, ice cream, or tea.
- Make sure you don’t chew the medicine if placed in food.
- Drink a glass of water or juice after swallowing the food to make sure all the medicine is swallowed.
- Do not save the medicine mixture for later.
- Drink plenty of liquids while taking this medicine.
Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor about any of the following:
- All of the medications (including over the counter), vitamins, herbal products, and supplements you are taking.
- Have a problem (hypersensitivity) to anything in this medicine (-lipase, protease, amylase, preservatives and fillers).
- Have a problem (hypersensitivity) to pork.
- Have acute pancreatitis or acute worsening of chronic pancreatic diseases.
- Are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- Avoid using antacids because these may destroy the coating of the capsule and affect the enzymes.
The most common side effects include: nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, constipation, or diarrhea.
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:
- Feeling sick
- Fever, shivering/chills, rash
- Muscle and bone pain
- Kidney problems (changes in the amount of urine or color of urine)
- Tiredness, dizziness
- Trouble breathing
Additional side effects may be found on the drug’s website or by calling the manufacturer.
For complete information, please visit: http://www.digestivecare.com
This medication should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Keep out of reach of children. Protect from sunlight and moisture. Do not change brands without asking your doctor first.
Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.