Gravity Feeding Supplies usually include the following:
- Feeding container
- 30 or 60 mL syringe
- Tubing (gravity set)
- Water (room temperature)
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Rinse the top of the formula can with hot water.
- Mix the formula well by shaking or mixing as directed.
- Fill the feeding container with the recommended amount of ounces or mL of formula prescribed by your physician or dietitian and close the bag as instructed.
- Hang the feeding container on the pole or the syringe so that it is 18 inches above the level of the child’s stomach.
- If using a prefilled feeding container, shake the container, and spike the container as directed.
- Open the clamp on the flow regulator until the formula fills the tubing.
- Close the clamp on the flow regulator.
- Make sure the drip chamber is approximately half full.
Starting the Feeding:
- Open (unclamp or uncap) your feeding tube.
- Before starting the feeding, use the syringe to rinse or flush your feeding tube with 5-10 mL of warm water.
- Connect the tip on the end of the tubing to the feeding tube.
- To administer the feeding, have the head elevated at least 30 degrees and have the child remain in that position for at least 30 to 60 minutes after the feeding.
- Open the flow regulator clamp to adjust the flow or rate recommended by your physician or dietitian.
- After the feeding, close and disconnect the feeding set.
- Using the syringe, rinse or flush you feeding tube again with 5-10 mL of warm water or until the tubing is clean.
- Close (reclamp or recap) your feeding tube.
- Clean, rinse, and dry your equipment after each feeding.
- Replace your feeding container and tubing as recommended by your healthcare professional.