Children 10 to 18 years of age
Bowel Cleaning must be done BEFORE you child’s colonoscopy
A proper bowel cleaning will make sure that all stool is out of the colon. If this cleaning is not done right, the doctor will not be able to closely see all of the bowel and the procedure will have to be done again.
It is very important to make sure that your child drinks plenty of fluids and does not become dehydrated. Signs of dehydration include: a dry sticky mouth, decreased urine output (little or no urine output for 8 hours) or dark urine, dizziness or lightheadedness, lethargy or decreased energy or playfulness, or lack of tears.
If you think your child is becoming dehydrated, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room.
ALL LABORATORY TESTS ORDERED BY YOUR DOCTOR MUST BE DONE AT LEAST 2 DAYS BEFORE THE PROCEDURE OR THE CHILD WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE THE COLONOSCOPY ON THE SCHEDULED DAY.
Children’s Hospital Outpatient Surgery Department will call you after 6:00 PM on the day before the colonoscopy to let you know when you should arrive in the morning for the procedure. If you have not received a call by 8:00 PM, call 541-8580 and ask what time you should be there for the procedure.
FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
Your child may have only clear liquids on the day before the procedure. Clear liquids include: light colored juices, tea, clear carbonated drinks, clear broth, bouillon, Jell-O and Popsicles. Your child may also have Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade. NO RED OR ORANGE fluids should be given. There is no limit to the amount of clear liquids your child may have, and we encourage you to offer plenty of fluids to ensure that your child does not become dehydrated.
YOUR CHILD CANNOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE DAY OF THE PROCEDURE
Morning: Prepare the Moviprep solution
- Empty one pouch A and one pouch B into the disposable container.
- Add lukewarm water to the top line of the container. Mix to dissolve. Refrigerate.
At noon have your child take 2 tablets of Dulcolax or 10 ounces of Magnesium Citrate.
Begin the prep at 3:00 PM
- The Moviprep container is divided by four marks. Every 15 minutes, have your child drink the solution down to the next mark (approximately 8 ounces), until the full liter is complete.
- Then have your child drink 16 ounces of the clear liquid of their choice. Your child may start going to the bathroom after only a couple of glasses, but be sure to have them drink ALL of the solution.
- Continue to have your child drink clear liquids until bedtime.
- Prepare the second container of Moviprep and refrigerate.
Beginning at 8:00 PM
- Repeat Steps 3, 4, & 5 entirely.
At 10:00 PM give your child 1 Dulcolax with at least 8 ounces of clear liquids.