Children 7 to 10 years of age
Bowel Cleaning must be done BEFORE you child’s colonoscopy
A proper bowel cleaning will make sure that all stool is out of the colon. If this cleaning is not done right, the doctor will not be able to closely see all of the bowel and the procedure will have to be done again.
It is very important to make sure that your child drinks plenty of fluids and does not become dehydrated. Signs of dehydration include: a dry sticky mouth, decreased urine output (little or no urine output for 8 hours) or dark urine, dizziness or lightheadedness, lethargy or decreased energy or playfulness, or lack of tears.
If you think your child is becoming dehydrated, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room.
ALL LABORATORY TESTS ORDERED BY YOUR DOCTOR MUST BE DONE AT LEAST 2 DAYS BEFORE THE PROCEDURE OR THE CHILD WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE THE COLONOSCOPY ON THE SCHEDULED DAY.
Children’s Hospital Outpatient Surgery Department will call you after 6:00 PM on the day before the colonoscopy to let you know when you should arrive in the morning for the procedure. If you have not received a call by 8:00 PM, call 541-8580 and ask what time you should be there for the procedure.
FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
Your child may have only clear liquids on the day before the procedure. Clear liquids include: light colored juices, tea, clear carbonated drinks, clear broth, bouillon, Jell-O and Popsicles. Your child may also have Pedialyte, Gatorade, or Powerade. NO RED OR ORANGE fluids should be given. There is no limit to the amount of clear liquids your child may have, and we encourage you to offer plenty of fluids to ensure that your child does not become dehydrated.
YOUR CHILD CANNOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE DAY OF THE PROCEDURE.
- At 10:00 AM have your child drink 2 ounces of Magnesium Citrate followed by 6 ounces of Gatorade or Powerade.
- At noon have your child take 1 tablet of Dulcolax with 8 ounces of Gatorade or Powerade.
- At noon mix 8 capfuls of Miralax with 16 ounces of Gatorade or Powerade. Allow your child to drink this until finished over the next 3 hours.
- At 6:00 PM have your child drink 2 ounces of Magnesium Citrate followed by 6 ounces of Gatorade or Powerade.
- Between 9-10PM have your child take 1 tablet of Dulcolax with 8 ounces of Gatorade or Powerade.
***If your child still does not have clear watery diarrhea by midnight, repeat Step Four again. If you have questions, or not sure what to do after office hours, please call the office and select the option to speak with the physician on call.
***If your child is sick or has a fever within 24 hours of the time of his/her procedure, please notify our office.