Syringe Feeding Supplies usually include the following:
- Clean measuring cup with a pour spout (optional)
- 60 ml syringe
- Water (room temperature)
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Rinse the top of the formula can with hot water.
- Mix the formula well by shaking or mixing as directed.
- Before starting the feeding, use the syringe to flush your feeding tube with 5-10 mL of room temperature water.
- Pour the amount of mL of formula into the clean measuring cup or directly into the syringe. The amount of formula will be recommended by your physician or dietitian.
Starting the Feeding:
- To administer the feeding, position the child’s head at least 30 degrees. The child should remain in this position for 30-60 minutes after each feeding.
- Fold over and pinch the end of the feeding tube to stop the flow. Then, open (unclamp or uncap) your feeding tube.
- Attach the syringe to the end of your feeding tube, releasing the pinch or fold to open the flow.
- Raise or lower the height of the syringe to increase or decrease the feeding rate.
- If indicated, add more formula to the syringe as formula flows into the feeding tube.
- After the prescribed amount of formula has been infused, use the syringe to flush 5-10 ml of warm water.
- Detach the syringe from the feeding tube and close (reclamp or recap) the feeding tube.
- Clean, rinse and dry your equipment after each feeding.
- Replace your equipment as directed by your healthcare professional.