Pump Feeding Supplies usually include the following:
- Feeding container and tubing (pump set)
- 60 mL syringe
- Water (room temperature)
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Rinse the top of the formula container with hot water.
- Mix the formula well by shaking or mixing as directed.
- Fill the feeding container with the recommended amount of ounces or mL of formula prescribed by your physician or dietitian.
- Hang the feeding container on the pole above the feeding pump or in the backpack.
- If you are using a prefilled feeding container, shake the container, spike the container as directed, and continue from this step.
- Since every pump is different follow the instructions provided by your healthcare professional to set up and operate your pump.
Starting the Feeding:
- To administer the feeding, have the child’s head elevated at least 30 degrees and remain in that position for at least 30 to 60 minutes after the feeding.
- Open (unclamp or uncap) your feeding tube.
- Before starting the feeding, use the syringe to rinse or flush 5-10 mL of warm water or until the tubing is clean.
- Insert the tip on the end of the tubing into your feeding tube.
- Set the flow rate on the pump to the recommended rate.
- If applicable, open the roller clamp on the feeding set.
- Start your pump.
- After the feeding, disconnect the feeding set from your feeding tube. Recap the end of the tubing with the plastic cap.
- Use the syringe to rinse or flush your feeding with 5-10 mL of warm water or until the tubing is clean.
- Close (reclamp or recap) your feeding tube.
- Clean, rinse, and dry your equipment.
- Throw away the prefilled container when it is empty.
- Replace your feeding container and tubing as directed by your healthcare professional.