This month we are all about flaxseed!
Flaxseed comes from the flax plant which is one of the oldest crops; known to have been cultivated in ancient Egypt and China. Full of omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, and lignans (antioxidants), flaxseed has many health benefits. It also contains significant vitamins and minerals.
The mixture of soluble and insoluble fiber found in flaxseed aids in digestion and promotes healthy gut flora. Aiding in constipation, soluble fiber binds with water helping to soften stool while insoluble fiber speeds up transit time to help produce more frequent bowel movements. The prebiotic fibers found in flaxseed help to feed the good bacteria in your gut. This good bacteria, known as probiotics, improves immunity and nutrient absorption. Ground flaxseed can easily be added to oatmeal, pancake mix, and baked goods for even picky eaters!
Omega 3s and Antioxidants:
Flaxseed is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. When cold-pressed into an oil, it contains a larger amount of these essential fatty acids compared to other household oils. Flaxseed oil is easy to use in salad dressings, pesto, and dips but does have a low smoke point so is not ideal for cooking. The type of antioxidant, lignans, found in flaxseed may help to control blood pressure, prevent cancer, and improve lipid levels.
Vitamins and Minerals:
Flaxseed contains significant amounts of thiamin (vitamin B1) copper, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus.
Mild, nutty flavor
Gluten free grain
Serving size = 1 T
Favorite Flaxseed Recipes:
Homemade no-bake granola bars
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (can sub almond butter or sunbutter)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 T ground flaxseed
- 1 T mini chocolate chips or 1 T dried blueberries
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- mix all ingredients together
- press into small baking dish
- refrigerate overnight
- cut into bars and serve
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 T ground flaxseed or toasted whole flaxseed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- toast bread in toaster
- spread avocado on toast
- top with flaxseed, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- 1 oz can of chickpeas15.5
- 2 gloves of garlicpeeled
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of Golden Flax Meal
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 of cold water depends on desired consistency, I added 1/4 c
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Put the first 7 ingredients in a food processor and process until everything is well incorporated. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and process again. Repeat two more times to make sure everything will be well incorporated and smooth.
- With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Taste, for seasoning, and serve chilled or at room temperature.
source: Mommy’s Home Cooking