Pantoprazole Sodium (Protonix) reduces acid (proton pump inhibitor) and is used for short-term treatment of acid-related damage to the lining of the esophagus caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease.
How should it be used?
This medication is available in both tablet and oral forms.
- Tablets can be taken with or without food.
- Do not crush, break or chew the tablet.
- Oral granules should be mixed only with applesauce or apple juice to swallow. Do not use any other type of liquid or soft food.
- Sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of applesauce and swallow without chewing. Or you can pour the granules into a cup with 1 teaspoon of apple juice, let it sit for 5 seconds, and then drink it right away.
Before you start taking this medicine tell your doctor about any of the following:
- Medications (including over the counter), vitamins, herbal products, and supplements that you are taking.
- Have a problem (hypersensitivity) to pantoprazole sodium or any of the other ingredient in this medicine:
-Protonix Delayed Release Tablets contains: pantoprazole sodium sesquihydrate, calcium stearate, crospovidone, hypromellose, iron oxide, mannitol, methacrylic acid copolymer, polysorbate 80, povidone, propylene glycol, sodium carbonate, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide, and triethyl citrate. Pantoprazole Sodium Delayed-Release tablets (40 mg and 20 mg) comply with USP dissolution test 2.
-Protonix Delayed Release Oral Suspension contains: pantoprazole sodium sesquihydrate, crospovidone, hypromellose, methacrylic acid copolymer, microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 80, povidone, sodium carbonate, sodium lauryl sulfate, talc, titanium dioxide, triethyl citrate, and yellow ferric oxide.
- Are allergic to any other proton pump inhibitor medicine.
- Have liver problems
- Are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding.
The most common Side Effects include: diarrhea, headache, and gas.
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:
- Feeling sick
- Fever, shivering/chills, rash
- Muscle and bone pain
- Kidney problems (changes in the amount of urine or color of urine)
- Tiredness, dizziness
- Trouble breathing
This medication should be stored at room temperature. Keep out of reach of children. Protect from sunlight and moisture.
Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.
The safety and efficacy of this drug in pediatric patients have not yet been established.