Your doctor may order this test for you in order to learn if your child may have Cystic Fibrosis. This is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system. This test measures the amount of salt in your child’s sweat. A high concentration of salt may indicate Cystic Fibrosis
What will the scan involve?
- Your child will have a chemical that causes sweating applied to their arm or leg.
- Two electrodes will be applied to that site for approximately 5 minutes to induce sweating and then the electrodes will be removed.
- Your child may experience a warm tingling sensation while the electrodes are on.
- A piece of gauze will be applied to the site and then wrapped with plastic wrap. The patient will sweat on this gauze for 30 minutes.
- The sweat is then collected from the site and sent to the lab for testing.
How long will it last?
The total visit time will be approximately 90 minutes.
Before the test
- You should not use any lotions, perfumes, or powders the day of the test.
- Your child needs to be very well hydrated for this test so please have them drink plenty of fluids the day before.
After the test
- Your child may resume his/her normal diet and activities after the test.
- Your child’s test results will be discussed with you at your child’s next follow up appointment at GI for Kids.