Pancrelipase (Ultrase) is made up of three enzymes (proteins) that are normally produced by the pancreas and are important in digestion of fats, proteins, and sugars. Pancrelipase is used to replace these enzymes when the body doesn’t have enough of its own. It is commonly used in people with IBD, Celiac Disease, malabsorption, chronic pancreatitis, and bacterial overgrowth. Pancrelipase is also used following surgerical removal of the pancreas.
How should it be used?
Pancrelipase comes as a powder, tablet, capsule with powder, delayed-release capsule with small beads, and delayed-release capsule that has very small coated tablets to take by mouth.
- Take with food and full glass of water or juice.
- Do not hold the tablets or capsule contents in your mouth. The medicine may irritate the inside of your mouth.
- Do not crush, chew, or break, or open an extended-release tablet or capsule. Swallow it whole.
- To make swallowing easier, you can open the capsule and sprinkle the medicine into a spoonful of pudding or applesauce. Swallow right away without chewing. Do not save the mixture for later use. Throw away the empty capsule.
- Do not inhale the powder from the capsule, or allow it to touch your skin. It may cause irritation, especially to your nose and lungs.
Also, avoid using antacids as these may destroy the coating of the capsule and affect the enzymes
Before you start taking this medicine tell your doctor about any of the following:
- All of the medications (including over the counter), vitamins, herbal products, and supplements that you are taking.
- Have a problem (hypersensitivity) to anything in this medicine:
-lipase, amylase, protease, povidone, talc, sugar, methacrylic acid copolymer (The C), triethyl citrate, simethicone emulsion.
- If you are allergic to pork.
- Have acute pancreatitis or acute wornsening of chronic pancreatic disease
- Are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant or breastfeeding.
The most common side effects include: nausea, cramping, and diarrhea with high doses.
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:
- Feeling sick
- Fever, shivering/chills, rash
- Muscle and bone pain
- Kidney problems (changes in the amount of urine or color of urine)
- Tiredness, dizziness
- Trouble breathing
This medication should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Keep out of reach of children. Protect from sunlight and moisture. Do not change brands without asking your doctor first.
Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.