Zantac is an over the counter (OTC) acid reducer available for the relief and prevention of heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach.
How should it be used?
Zantac is available in 75 mg or 150 mg tablets, as well as Zantac 150 Cool Mint Tablets.
- To relieve symptoms, swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water.
- To prevent symptoms, swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water 30 to 60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that cause heartburn.
- Do not take more than 2 tablets in 24 hours.
Before you start taking this medicine tell your doctor about any of the following:
- All of the medications (including over the counter), vitamins, herbal products, and supplements that you are taking.
- if you have:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Unexplained weight loss
- Frequent chest pain
- Frequent wheezing, particularly with heartburn
- Had heartburn over 3 months
- Heartburn with dizziness, sweating, or lightheadedness
- Chest pain or should pain with shortness of breath, sweating, pain spreading to arms, neck or shoulders, or lightheadedness
- Are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
Do not use Zantac:
- If you are allergic to ranitidine or anything in this medicine including:
This product is sodium and sugar free.
-Zantac 75 mg and 150 mg contain: ranitidine, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, synthetic red iron oxide, titanium dioxide, triacetin.
-Zantac 150 mg Cool mint tablets contain: ranitidine, carrageenan, FD&C blue no.1, flavors, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate, sucralose, and titanium dioxide
- With other acid reducers
- If you have kidney disease, except under the advice and supervision of a doctor
- If you have trouble swallowing food, vomiting with blood, or bloody or black stools
Stop using and ask your doctor if:
- Your heartburn continues or worsens
- You need to take this product for more than 14 days
The most common Side Effects include: headache, malaise (weakness/lethargy), vertigo (dizziness), blurred vision, and jaundice.
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:
- Feeling sick
- Fever, shivering/chills, rash
- Muscle and bone pain
- Kidney problems (changes in the amount of urine or color of urine)
- Tiredness, dizziness
- Trouble breathing
This medication should be stored at room temperature. Keep out of reach of children. Protect from sunlight and moisture.
Call the national poison control center 1-800-222-1222 or 911 in the event of overdose. Symptoms of an overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, fever, chills, and other signs of infection.
This drug is approved for use in patients ages 12 years old and older. For children under 12 years of age: ask your doctor prior to use.